Lately I’ve been asked quite frequently whether I feel the baby is a boy or girl. It’s weird, but my feelings have changed. In the beginning, I felt it was a girl and could only think of girl names and decorations. However, about 6 weeks ago I started thinking “boy” and couldn’t focus on anything girly. Either way, we’ll be happy.
Along with being asked what I think, I get a lot of guesses…”You seem to carrying low, so I think it’s a girl.” (or, I’ve even heard the exact opposite…that since it seems I’m carrying low, I’ll probably have a boy).
“Craving sweets? – it’s a girl.”
“It’s a boy…I’ve dreamed it!”
And so it continues on.
I really do enjoy the guesses; it’s part of the fun. So in keeping with spirit, I decided to go through the wives’ tales that are supposed to determine if the baby’s a girl or boy. Below is a list that I found on ivillage.com with the supposed gender determinants. Next to each symptom I’ve placed a YES or NO depending on if I’ve experienced it. (I’ve deleted a few really personal ones about my nipples and urine. Not sure you really want to hear about that!)
It’s a boy if:
- You didn’t experience morning sickness in early pregnancy. YES
- Your baby’s heart rate is less than 140 beats per minute. NO
- You are carrying the extra weight out front. (NOT SURE WHAT THIS MEANS REALLY…BUT, YES?)
- Your belly looks like a basketball. UM…YES? A SMALL ONE…
- You are carrying low. YES
- You are craving salty or sour foods. YES
- You are craving protein — meats and cheese. YES
- Your feet are colder than they were before pregnancy. NO
- The hair on your legs has grown faster during pregnancy. NOT REALLY, MY HAIR’S ALWAYS GROWN ANNOYINGLY FAST!
- Your hands are very dry. NO
- Your pillow faces north when you sleep. WHAT? BASED ON WHICH SIDE OF THE PILLOW? IF IT’S BASED ON THE OPENING OF THE PILLOW COVER…THEN, YES.
- Dad-to-be is gaining weight right along with you. DOESN’T LOOK LIKE IT, SO, NO.
- Pregnancy has you looking better than ever. UM…NO… UNLESS YOU THINK OF A WIDENING BUTT AS “LOOKING BETTER”! (yes, I know I’m pregnant & it comes with the joy of becoming a mother…but it doesn’t mean I have to like the idea of the weight gain. In fact, this has been the hardest part for me).
- Your nose is spreading. OH NO!! DOES THIS HAPPEN IN PREGNANCY TOO?!?! NOT YET FOR ME, AT LEAST.
- You hang your wedding ring over your belly and it moves in circles. LOL!! I JUST DID THIS FOR THE FIRST TIME…AND IT WENT IN CIRCLES BUT THEN STOOD STILL WHEN I MOVED IT AWAY FROM MY BELLY!
- You are having headaches. YES. JUST RECENTLY STARTED.
- You add your age at the time of conception and the number for the month you conceived and the sum is an even number. NOPE. IT’S AN ODD #.
It’s a girl if:
- You had morning sickness early in pregnancy. NO
- Your baby’s heart rate is at least 140 beats per minute. YES.
- You are carrying the weight in your hips and rear. NO
- Your left breast is larger than your right breast. 🙂 NO.
- Your hair develops red highlights. NO
- You are carrying high. NO.
- Your belly looks like a watermelon. YES? IDK…WHAT KIND OF WATERMELON? SOME ARE PRETTY ROUND LIKE A BASKETBALL!
- You are craving sweets. YES! CAN YOU SAY “BANANA SPLIT”?
- You are craving fruit. YES! EVEN GRAPES, WHICH I DON’T EVEN REALLY LIKE.
- You crave orange juice. NOT REALLY. BUT I’VE ALWAYS DRANK A BUNCH OF JUICE SINCE I WAS A LITTLE GIRL.
- You don’t look quite as good as normal during pregnancy. YES! MY FACE IS BREAKING OUT & I’VE ALWAYS HAVE CLEAR, CLEAR SKIN!
- You are moodier than usual during pregnancy. YES. MY HUSBAND, MOM AND STUDENTS WILL CONFIRM THIS ONE!
- Your face breaks out more than usual. YES. JUST RECENTLY.
- You refuse to eat the heel of a loaf of bread. YES. BUT THIS IS NOTHING NEW; I’VE NEVER EATEN THE HEEL.
- Your breasts have really blossomed! NOPE. NOT YET. 😦
- Your pillow faces south when you sleep. AGAIN…IDK…BUT NO, BASED ON MY PREVIOUS CONCLUSION.
- You hang your wedding ring over your belly and it moves from side. NO
- You add your age at the time of conception and the number for the month you conceived and the sum is an odd number. YES
I guess we’ll just have to wait for the conclusive sonogram scheduled for March 10!