not so good workout

Wanting to keep the slenderer me, Josh and I have started cycling. On this cool morning when the sun just started to peak through the clouds, we were off to a local trail in Richardson. I’ve ridden this trail many times with my friend Liz and have never had any problems.

The ride was going smooth and I was feeling great as we came to the end of the the first half- two long descents. As I flew down the hills, crisp wind cooling off the sweat on my brow, I wasn’t thinking about the obvious – that going down the hills means that i will be going UP the hills to return to our car.

The first hill is short, but steep.  Having learned how to change gears during Wednesday night’s “Bicycle Maintenance Class”, the first climb proved fairly easy, except for the anticipated gasping-for-air moments that followed.  Before I barely had time to recover I approached the second hill, a gradual incline but much longer than the first.  It was a killer…almost literally.

When I reached the very top and came to a stop at the red light, my heart pounded so fast I thought it was going to explode.  After going through the light Josh and I got off our bikes and began walking, hoping that a slower pace would help bring my heart rate down.  Instead I became more nauseated and dizzy, feeling like I could pass out and lose my breakfast all at once.  I had to sit down. Once I sipped on my water and relaxed for about 10 minutes I started feeling good enough to continue on to the car.


Almost immediately upon returning to the bike saddle, the nauseating, stomach-twisting dizziness knocked me down.  This time, it returned twice as bad as before.  I had to get to a bathroom, but only residental houses surrounded us.  I made up my mind to walk to the nearest house, a nice brick home with a “He is Risen” cross stuck in the front yard.  Surely, they would help a dying woman.

As I walked up their front walkway, everything went blurry and started spinning.  All balance and focus disappeared and I fell to the dewy wet grass.  The pain from my stomach and chest was intense, but with the little strength within me, I lifted up my head to call for Josh.  After checking to see if I still had a pulse, he began running from door to door.  Finally, the 6th house (way down the street) opened up and allowed me to come in their home to cool down and recoop.  By this time, I had been laying in the grass unable to make any significant movement, but I was able to pull myself up and, with the help of Josh’s arm and my bike-turned-walker, I made my way to the house.

Thankfully all turned out well.  No ambulances, no broken bones, no severe trauma.  Maybe a little dehydrated…but, I’m still alive…and will climb back on my bike very soon.


4 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. jaybrams
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 18:09:46

    that’s a very scary and dangerous story… don’t do stuff like that.


  2. lmparks
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 20:53:33

    trust me, I plan on never doing that again!
    Josh talked to his dad this morning about it, and he thinks it was heat exhaustion.


  3. nikol
    Sep 01, 2008 @ 01:14:18

    Linds… wow. I’m sorry you were so sick. Maybe working out isn’t such a good idea? 😉 Just kidding. Hopefully your body will adjust to such strenous exercise – I’m rooting for you!


  4. Trackback: Nassau & News « Me on Mission

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: